Construction Updates – Current as of December 8, 2019
PHASE 1 – COMPLETED ON SEPTEMBER 15, 2018
PHASE 2 PLAN
- In August of 2018, construction crews re-striped and re-aligned H1 along the project extents to provide access for shoulder widening and concrete paving tasks.
- Primary construction activities began in September 2019 in “Increment #1” which is located on the East end of the Waimalu Viaduct. The general construction sequence for all increments is as follows:
- Install environmental controls – Dust fence, run-off protection, etc.
- Remove existing street lighting
- Slope excavation – Removing material from the slope to allow for shoulder widening
- Wall excavation & backfill – Includes two Cast-in-Place concrete walls and two Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) walls
- Install new street lighting
- Install utilities – Drainage and Waterlines where applicable
- Prepare shoulder for paving – Leveling and compacting roadway subgrade
- Concrete paving – 11 total paves starting Friday morning(s), finishing by Saturday morning.
- Install drainage swales
- Permanent landscaping – Reseeding slopes and installing erosion control matting
- Install guardrail and signage
PHASE 2 UPDATE
- Slope excavation
- Completed in Increments 1-5 as of Summer 2019.
- Highway Lighting System
- Pole foundations and conduit installation is approximately 90% complete.
- Installation of permanent street light poles will be complete in Summer 2019
- Wall #1 (Cast-in-Place, located beneath the Ka’onohi St. Overpass)
- Completed on December 14th, 2018.
- Wall #2 (MSE, located ~500ft East of the Kaonohi St. Overpass)
- Completed on March 19th, 2019
- Wall #3 (MSE, located ~250ft West of the Kaamilo St. Overpass)
- Completed on April 1st, 2019
- Wall #4 (Cast-in-Place, located beneath the Ka’amilo St. Overpass)
- Wall footing was poured on July 27th, 2019. Wall 4 is expected to be complete by the end of Summer 2019
- Concrete Paving
- Currently, paves are scheduled to occur on Friday nights only. Lane closures will start at 10:00 AM on Friday mornings (one lane + shoulder) for demolition and expand to three lanes + shoulder by 7:30 PM Friday night. All lanes except the shoulder will re-open by 7:30 AM on Saturday morning. The shoulder lane will remain closed until 4:00 AM on Monday morning to allow for proper pavement curing. Closure days and times are subject to change pending field conditions and/or weather. All closures will continue to be communicated in the “Traffic” section of the website.
- 9 of 11 paves have been completed to-date. Concrete paving will continue through Summer 2019.
- Cut slopes in Increments 1, 2 & 3 have been permanently stabilized. Cut slopes in increments 4 & 5 will be permanently stabilized by Fall 2019
- Phase 2 construction activities will be complete in Winter 2019.
PHASE 3 – COMPLETED ON JULY 25, 2019