Construction Updates – Current as of March 24, 2019
PHASE 1 UPDATE
- The precast concrete panel setting and grouting operation was completed on August 12th, 2018.
- Concrete Grinding & Final inspections were completed on September 15, 2018.
PHASE 2 PLAN
- In August of 2018, construction crews re-striped and re-aligned H1 along the project extents to provide access for shoulder widening and concrete paving tasks.
- Primary construction activities began in September 2019 in “Increment #1” which is located on the East end of the Waimalu Viaduct. The general construction sequence for all increments is as follows:
- Install environmental controls – Dust fence, run-off protection, etc.
- Remove existing street lighting
- Slope excavation – Removing material from the slope to allow for shoulder widening
- Wall excavation & backfill – Includes two Cast-in-Place concrete walls and two Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) walls
- Install new street lighting
- Install utilities – Drainage and waterlines where applicable
- Prepare shoulder for paving – Leveling and compacting roadway subgrade
- Concrete paving – 14 total paves
- Install drainage swales
- Permanent landscaping – Reseeding slopes and installing erosion control matting
- Install guardrail and signage
PHASE 2 UPDATE
- Slope excavation
- Completed in Increments 1-3. Increment(s) 4 & 5 are scheduled to be complete by early summer, 2019.
- Highway Lighting System
- Pole foundations and conduit installation is approximately 50% complete.
- Installation of permanent street light poles will begin in late February.
- Wall #1 (Cast-in-Place, located beneath the Kaonohi st. Overpass)
- Completed on December 14th, 2018.
- Wall #2 (MSE, located ~500ft East of the Kaonohi St. Overpass)
- Excavation was completed on December 21st, 2018. Installation of MSE wall panels was completed on February 8th, 2019. Lightweight cellular concrete backfill was completed on February 12th, 2019. Barrier rail for Wall #2 is expected to finish by May 2019.
- Wall #3 (MSE, located ~250ft West of the Kaamilo St. Overpass)
- Excavation began on January 14th, 2019. MSE wall panel installation is expected to start by late February. Wall #3 is expected to be complete by May 2019.
- Concrete Paving
- Currently, paves are scheduled to occur on Friday nights only. Lane closures will start at 10:00 AM on Friday mornings (one lane + shoulder) for demolition and expand to three lanes + shoulder by 7:30 PM Friday night. All lanes except the shoulder will re-open by 7:30 AM on Saturday morning. The shoulder lane will remain closed until 4:00 AM on Monday morning to allow for proper pavement curing. Closure days and times are subject to change pending field conditions and/or weather. All closures will continue to be communicated in the “Traffic” section of the website.
- Two paves have been completed to-date. The first occurred on January 18thand the second on January 25th. Concrete paving will continue through the summer.
- Cut slopes in Increment(s) 1 & 2 have been temporarily stabilized. Permanent stabilization is currently in progress for Increments 1-3.
- Phase 2 construction activities will continue through early 2020.
- Phase 3 work includes the installation of precast concrete panels in 3 additional areas. Two of these areas are located near the Pearl City Viaduct both H1 East bound and West bound, while one is located on H1 East bound near the Aiea Stadium off-ramp. Currently this work is scheduled to occur early this summer. More information will be available as design and pre-construction tasks are completed.